China Nationals update

Not to bog you fair readers down in the boring minutia of minutes — god forbid we’re turning into a bureaucracy that holds meetings — but for those interested in keeping up with developments in the planning of China’s national tournament, this is for you.

*

Jeff Orcutt writing, with translation by Aurora Yao:

This Saturday’s meeting was very good. I cannot wait to work with all of you on this tournament over the spring. Let’s increase our use of email and continue to communicate over CNY.

Ken, sorry that we were unable to connect. Let’s Burger lied about their internet connection… and that was the second location we had gone to…

As for the meeting here are some notes that I took. Mike has others. This is not an exhaustive list of what we talked about (Tao’s brackets is one area, and what the foreigners should do on Saturday –nines?) and I encourage you to add or correct what I have written.

In attendance (clockwise from door):

Mike

Jeff

Shen

Tao

Kelly

Steven

Location/time: Let’s Burger (tasty food) from 8:00 until 10:00pm (Kelly could only count this as one hour if she is counting : ) ) on Saturday, Feb, 6, 2010.

These notes are not in the order as discussed at the meeting:

Sponsorship:

This is an area that is difficult but we were happy that if we continue to plug away we may find some good news. We all agreed that at this point we should organise the tournament as if we were not going to receive any sponsorship. However, that does not mean that we should not try to get merchandise and money as sponsorships. Some areas where we may be able to get sponsorship:

n Nokia – we have helped them put on clinics (Kelly will invite them to participate in our spring league and use that discussion to slowly bring up sponsorship opportunities)

n ISB – in addition to the free fields in the spring we may be able to get some sponsorships since they are sending teams

n KPMG – I want to get tents from them like they did in SH

n Mike’s company – a little bit o’ cash?

n Other companies that we are involved with

n Eric Wu’s father – we discussed trying to see if funds were available from him or PWC. Eric indicated that this might be a possibility

Mike, Gareth and I have been working on a sponsorship pack and we will send it around when ready so each of you can approach companies that you feel may be helpful in this regard.

Also Zahlen will continue to help support us. We will talk about jerseys for early-bird registration like two years ago.

Team sponsorship:

We also want to provide sponsorships to teams so we can increase turnout especially from teams in the south that have to travel all the way across China to get here. I would love if we could provide some sponsorship for the tournament fees but really try to get it so everyone pays roughly the same price in travel costs (if everyone took trains). For example if train tickets from SZ are 600-800 we could off set the cost over 300 or so. (These numbers are made up off the top of my head.) I know this is not really possible but it can be a goal.

Price for the tournament:

In addition to other early-bird registration deals we discussed having a discount on price per player. Most at the meeting felt that a fifty kuai increase in price might be justified especially if we have some team sponsorships like last year. So the prices would work out to:

Foreigners 350RMB

Chinese 250RMB

Chinese students 150RMB

These increases could be explained by our increased cost of fields (for more teams, and increased sending on sponsorships).

Early-bird registration:

We thought an early-bird period for registration would be beneficial. For those teams registering before this date would have a fifty kuai discount on the above prices and may be able to get cheaper or free jerseys. The dates for early-bird registration were not set in stone but April 10th and the first of May were mentioned. We talked about not allowing registration after the first of May.

Direction and priorities of the tournament:

I wanted to emphasize that while we want to encourage teams to register as early as possible and may have these favourable prices and merchandise for them we have to remember that the most important aspect of the tournament is that we get the most amount of Chinese nationals to attend.

The website:

Was discussed. We talked about the need for it to be simple and easy to use. Mike will lead on this front and Jeff will send him what he will need from last year to get the website running in the next few weeks.

Mike has more on this.

Rules for participation:

We talked about allowing teams to have unlimited numbers and we reached a tentative agreement on using the old rules for foreigner participation on the Chinese teams (under 30% with only two allowed on the field at once). Mike brought up allowing a lower number of foreigners might help the level of play and overall comfort of the Chinese nationals. In the end it seemed that the old rules were agreed upon. Right, Mike?

The ratio was set at 5/2, 4/3 offense decides.

Everyone agreed that it was too early for WFDF rules as the Chinese nationals needed more time to grow on their own. As it isn’t clear there will be a viable WFDF organisational committee around Chinese in the near future nationals can concentrate on promoting the sport among the locals.

Theme:

We were a little baffled at what Balance wanted when he was talking about more people mingling at the Saturday night party. Jeff was worried what he would have in store for the SZ tournament.

Some theme ideas that we talked about:

A pajamas theme

三国

Transformaters

Blizzard games (i.e. world of warcraft, starcraft, etc.)

Movie theme

As last year some ideas for games were talked about and some icebreaking games would definitely help people mingle as many of the Chinese players are shy and do not drink like the foreigners.

Fields:

At this point the fields are settled on the weekend of May 15th and 16th. We will use their lunch and water services again as they were fine and convenient. After CNY Jeff will confirm the details with Zhouyan, our contact at the fields.

Media:

We agreed that media was important for this year especially highlighting the competitive play and good spirit of the tournament while downplaying the drinking.

We will:

– Put together a pack for media consumption talking about the game and media pieces that have already covered the sport in BJ (Tao and Shen?)

– Approach Casey about CCTV involvement

– Tao also has media contacts that we can pitch to.

Hotels:

We were hoping to find good hotels with a party stop like last year within walking distance. We all agreed that the format of the party last year was good (with a dinner and drinking all in the same location near the hotels) and hope to repeat it. Wudaokuo was a location suggested for the hotels this year as it is close to the fields and will probably have cheap hotels for students.

Future meetings:

We agreed that future meetings can take place on Sundays either around eleven (ie before pickup) or in the evening (after pickup). Steven’s cafe is available in the future.

We agreed that we don’t have to meet again until the first weekend in March and then meeting twice in march and up to four times in April and then weekly in May.

To do:

n The website needs to go up and Jeff and mike will prepare a version for comments.

n A general role call of teams around china and their contact people should be taken and this includes a formal announcement of the date and venue. (who?)

n More discussion on the rules that we have adopted so they can be finalised.

n Sponsorship opportunities need to be approached

n Hotels need to be found (Mike and his company offered company time to support this effort)

n Priorities of the tournament need to be thought about. What best favours increasing Chinese turnout that we can reasonably do

n And jeff will finish up sponsorship packet

n Media packet – Tao?

I would also like to talk to leaders around China so we can find a way to agree where next year’s nationals will be held and make a fair way of picking locations in the future. Hopefully, we will already know the next location before this year’s tournament so they can get the most out of our expertise and their time at the tournament.

This may have to be developed in tandem with a Chinese national Frisbee organisation. I will put out an email for this.

Ok. Rock on. We will meet again in March and I will set out an email about that but before that I hope to see a good email discussion.

上周六的会开得很不错。我已经等不及在春天和大家一起努力了。

让我们加强邮件的使用,在春节期间继续交流。

这是我对此次会议的记录。Mike那还有别的。这没有包括我们讨论的所有问题(比如Tao提到的分级,还有外国人在周六应该做什么 – 九人?)。我希望大家可以添加/纠正我写的内容。

出席者 (按照从门开始,顺时针):

Mike
Jeff
Shen
Tao
Kelly
Steven

地点/时间:在Let’s Burger (好吃!),2010年2月6号的晚上8~10点,周六。

这些并不是按照讨论顺序记录的:


赞助:
这是一个难题,但是如果我们坚持不懈,就可能有好消息。我们一致同意在当前,我们按照将不会得到任何赞助来准备。然而这也不代表我们不需要尝试获得商品/钱上的赞助。我们可能获取赞助的方面有:

  • 诺基亚 – 我们已经帮他们举办了飞盘教学(Kelly会邀请他们参加春季联赛,以此讨论缓慢引出赞助的可能)
  • 国际学校 – 除了春天的场地,我们还可能获得点赞助,因为他们也要派队伍来
  • 毕马威 – 我想从他们那获得篷子,就像在上海那样
  • 涉及的其他公司
  • Eric Wu的爸爸 – 我们讨论了关于他或者普华永道提供基金的事。Eric示意过有可能。

Mike, Gareth和我正在筹备一个赞助计划选项。我们做好了以后就可以分发出去,用于接触大家觉得有可能赞助的公司。

此外Zahlen会继续支持我们。我们到时候会讨论早报名者的队服奖励,就像两年前那样。


队伍赞助:
我们还想给队伍提供赞助,希望能因此增加参与人员,尤其是对于从南方穿过整个中国赶来的队伍来说。我非常希望我们可以提供报名费上的赞助,或者是让每个人都花差不多的路费(如果都坐火车的话)。举例说,如果从深圳到北京的路费是六百~八百,我们可以让他们少花三百左右(这些数字是我脑子里设想的)。我知道这不太可能,但可以作为一个目标。

比赛价格:
除了早报名的奖励,我们也讨论了给每个人优惠的做法。多数人觉得涨价50块是合理的,尤其是当一些队像去年那样获得队伍赞助的话。
所以可行价格是:
外国人:350块
中国人:250块
中国学生:150块

涨价理由可以是场地涨价(因为有更多队伍,和增加的赞助)



早报名:
我们觉得设定早报名的期限是有益的。对于在此之前报名的队伍,可以获得在以上价格基础上减掉50块的优惠,也可能获得优惠/免费的队服。早报名的期限没有完全敲定,但可能是四月十号到五月一号。我们对于五月一号之后开始不再允许报名进行了讨论。

赛事的方向和优先权:

我想强调,当我们提倡尽早报名可以获得优惠/赠品的时候,我们也要记住这次赛事最重要的方面还是我们要吸引最多玩家来参加全国赛

网站:

讨论了。它需要使用起来简易。Mike会主管这个,Jeff会发给他需要的来自去年的内容,网站在接下来几周内会开始运行。

关于这个Mike有更多。


参赛规则:

做了关于允许队中不限人数的讨论,并尝试性商定对于中国队中外国人的参与用旧规则(30%之内,场上一次最多上2位)。Mike提出更低外国人的数量可能帮助提高比赛水平和中国参与者的舒适度。最终似乎我们还是认定了旧规则,对吧,Mike?

场上的男女比例 5/2, 4/3 进攻方决定。

每个人都同意现在就用WFDF的规则对于中国赛来说为时太早。鉴于中国还没有可自行发展的WFDF类的协会,现阶段全国赛还是立志于促进这项运动在国内的发展比较好。


主题:
我们有一点不能同意Balance关于周六晚上派对的混合的提议。Jeff有些担心Balance会为深圳举办的比赛预留什么。
讨论过的一些主题:

睡衣主题:
三国
变形金刚?
Blizzard公司的游戏(例如魔兽争霸,星际争霸,等)
电影主题

像去年讨论的游戏的主意一样,我们觉得消除最初陌生感的游戏对于融合大家肯定有帮助,因为很多中国人相对害羞,也不会像外国人那样喝酒。

场地:
目前而言五月十五、十六号的周末的场地是敲定的。我们还是会用场地的午餐和饮用水服务,因为去年这些很好很方便。春节后Jeff会和场地的联系人周燕确定。



媒体:

我们同意对于今年来说媒体是非常重要的,尤其是突出比赛竞争的激烈和赛事提倡的可嘉精神,但喝酒的部分需要被淡化。

我们会:

  • 汇总一个给媒体用的宣传,其中涵盖了已经出现过的关于这项运动在北京发展的报道(Tao和Shen?)
  • 就CCTV的参与联络Casey
  • Tao有一些我们可以搭上的媒体联络网


住宿:
我们希望能找到走着可以互达的宾馆和派对地点。我们一致认定去年的方式很好(晚饭和喝酒同一地点,而且在宾馆附近),希望今年还能这样。有人提议住在五道口附近,因为距离场地不远,而且很可能有给学生用的廉价宾馆。



将来的会议:

我们同意未来的会议可以定在周日上午11点(pickup之前)或者晚上(pickup之后)。Steven的咖啡店以后就可以使用了。

我们决定在三月的第一个周末之前无需再开会。然后三月开会两次,四月四次以及五月的每周末开会。


待做:

  • 网站需要运行。Jeff和Mike会准备评论的版本。
  • 联络全国各地队伍和他们的联络人,包括正式通知时间和场地(谁来这个角色?)
  • 关于我们用的规则的更多的讨论,然后就可以敲定
  • 争取赞助机会
  • 寻找宾馆(Mike和他的公司提出用公司的时间在这个问题上努力)
  • 需要考虑赛事的优先项。我们所能做到的最能增加中国参与人数的方法是什么?
  • Jeff会搞定给赞助商的资料。
  • 给媒体的资料 – Tao负责?

我还想和各地的负责人讨论明年的全国赛地点,公正地选择未来的比赛地点。希望在今年比赛之前我们就已经决定了明年比赛在哪,这样他们可以从我们今年的举办中获得最多的知识和经验。

这有可能和一个中国国家飞盘组织联系起来发展。关于这点我会再发邮件。

好。继续加油。我们三月再开会,在那之前我也会发邮件,希望看到更多的邮件讨论。

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: